Re: Tuned bodies, just intonation

|JUST and EQUAL TEMPERAMENT
|
|Rick Barker has asked me both publicly and privately for
|definitions for just and equal temperament. I take the Harvard
|Dictionary of Music (1969 edition) as my source. This stuff gets
|very intricate, and I won't go into great detail here. But I can
|at least outline the differences.

8<

Thank you Winslow, you excelled yourself once again.

A music professor put out a CD in the last few months that I found very
interesting.  He has created various scales by using divisions of an octave
other than twelve.  On the CD he has pieces using from thirteen to
twenty-three notes per octave.  I cannot provide a more accurate reference at
this time, unfortunately.  Listening to the compositions is a good complement to
reading the theory because the various scales contain intervals that are not
found in common tunings and yet some of them sound very right.  Of course, some
are (almost fashionably) cacophonous and some are like chewing aluminium foil
with filled teeth.