Re: 10th position?

On Tue, 18 Oct 1994, Steven D. Levine wrote:

> In HIP #4 there is a review of Kim Wilson's "Tiger Man." The key/position
> listing for "When the lights go out" is 64 Chromatic, 10th pos (Eb). Can
> someone explain this to me? Is he using a C chromatic? I know first,
> second and third fairly well and I've probably played in fourth or fifth
> by accident, but tenth? I have no idea what that is!

   Steve: He takes the C chromatic and holds the slide in, making it a C#
harp, and then plays in the traditional chromatic blues third position.
My band used to play this song but stopped because our guitarist kept
forgetting the words :). It also sounds like he uses a delay or echo.

> One thing I've noticed about playing chromatic (or at least playing the
> 280) is that it makes the diatonic seem so much easier in some ways. I
> mean, after practicing with the 280 for an hour or so, I'll pick up one
> of my Marine Bands and it will feel so tiny! And it actually becomes
> easier to play (maybe because the reeds are thinner? I don't know).

 I have GOT to bring a new song into our band's sets to let me play third
position chromatic blues. All the chromatic I play now, except for a
six-bar solo in one slow song, is first or second position. Third
position is *much* cooler.