Blues in Asia

     Recent postings by Hugh and Cheng Ann suggests there's a sliver of
     interest about Harp/Blues in Asia.  There's not much happening, but
     here are a few items I've picked up.

     HONG KONG:  There's a foreign harp player named Alan Japp, I hear, who
     has a band called the South Asia Blues Agency, which plays once a week
     in Hong Kong.  This fellow also arranged to bring in Charlie
     Musselwhite for a concert a year or so ago -- and he was unable to
     sell enough tickets for fill up a small venue (400 seats, I was told).
      I hope to track Japp down in mid-November during a quick trip to HK
     -- I may have more info then about the HK scene.

     GUAM:  Strong American influence there, of course.  There is a Blues
     Society in Guam that has been sponsoring (at least up to a few months
     ago) a weekly jam at a beachside bar.  There are a few good harp
     players there, I'm told.

     BB KING had a very successful, sold-out concert in Bangkok a couple
     years ago, indicating there is some interest in blues there.

     MTV reached Asia a couple years ago, and the music scene out here is
     changing quickly these days.  More western groups are getting exposure
     here; and Asian groups are beginning to develop a regional, not just a
     local following.  A UK-based organization has started the
     International Music Markets.  IMM sponsors an annual convention in
     Singapore in June to bring together promoters, record companies and
     other music-business types from Asia, Europe and North America.  They
     now put out IMM News, published 6 times a year ($85.00).  They've also
     published a Directory.  Address:

        IMM News, Reader Enquiries
        International Music Markets, Ltd.
        245 Old Marylebone Road, Longdon NW1 5QT
        United Kingdom

     Clapton's new album is already in record shops in Manila and probably
     throughout Asia.  This may trigger more interest in blues and the harp
     out here.

     Cheng Ann, can any of your Kuala Lumpur contacts send you information
     about the blues-oriented bands there, and about the clubs they play
     in?  Also, there was an article in the Straits Times about clubs in
     Singapore that have adopted a live-jazz policy.  I can track it down
     in my files if you need that information.

     Lastly, does anyone know how to find out about US blues and jazz
     artists who are coming out this way BEFORE they come?  I always learn
     about them after they've come and gone.

     tomcat