Re: Blues in Asia

Thomas_B._Colvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said :-
>   Clapton's new album is already in record shops in Manila and probably
>   throughout Asia.  This may trigger more interest in blues and the harp
>   out here.

yup..that album has arrived in Singapore more than a month ago.
Clapton played great guitar on the (ooh..those slides...!), and
Jerry Portnoy just made my knees weak with his warbles and wails
on the harp.

>    Cheng Ann, can any of your Kuala Lumpur contacts send you information
>    about the blues-oriented bands there, and about the clubs they play
>    in?  Also, there was an article in the Straits Times about clubs in
>    Singapore that have adopted a live-jazz policy.  I can track it down
>    in my files if you need that information.

I can't really speak much for the music scene in Kuala Lumpur.
I only go back to visit my family a few times a year. The music
scene there, as in Singapore too, is very much limited to pubs or clubs.
But it by no means indicate that the local bands are weak. I have seen
amazing axemen whipping out fierce bluesy solos before.

A few months back, BB King was on a Asian tour and he did a concert in
Singapore (i couldn't afford to go). I tried catching him at the Tower
Records when it was publicised that he would have a jam session there.
I went an hour early. The local band which was suppose to back him
started pulling off some numbers even before he arrived. There was
a great harp player. All the band members were from a blues club
downtown. And they could really kick some *blues*! Later, BB turned
up but there was no jam session. He was too tired (jet lag) to jam,
according to the manager. It was replaced with an autograph session.
The crowd there were all teenagers who happen to be in the vicinity and
i doubt that they were blues enthusiast. I got an autograph from
BB himself and shook his hands (his hands are big! i bet he can wrap
it round his fretboard twice!), but my awe for that night was still on the
harp player. I never got to talk to him, since he was busy chatting with his
friends (it's rude to interrupt!) and i had to rush off anyway.
I have also visited a blues CD shop somewhere in Chinatown (Singapore).
The malay shopowner there was initially surprised that a chinese could
be interested in blues/jazz ! He told me a little about the small
but faithful following of blues/jazz in Singapore. I will definitely drop
by for another visit after my finals (next week!) and get into the blues
and harp scene in Singapore. I need all the introduction since I am
still relatively new to this country. (3 years only) and that shopowner
may be my only lead now. On one hand, it may seem like a harp and
blues desert here (I can't even pick up blues stuff in the usual
record shop, but this is not apparent in Kuala Lumpur though) but
the pulse is definitely there.

>    Lastly, does anyone know how to find out about US blues and jazz
>    artists who are coming out this way BEFORE they come?  I always learn
>    about them after they've come and gone.

This would be interesting....
would any harp greats drop by Singapore?

-cheng ann

Tan Cheng Ann
Email: BA2319140@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                        "I love Wen Huey!"
   /   (__/    \/ -_)/   \/ _ \   /   -  | /   \ /   \       technological
    	               /_____/