Why are we still talking about this? That pesky cap

All well and good Bruce but if you plug the crystal into the padded input
as you suggest the frequency response is going to roll up.  Not that any
of this matters to me anyway because I use a magnetic cartridge Shure and
like it fine.  Lately I've been showing up to acoustic gigs that uise
PA's and just using whatever they have.  Seems to work.  I spoke to Tom
Ellis of Tom's Mic's last night.  He says ditch the pot along with the
cap install his pot ($$$) get rid of the XLR connection. Go to the cnter
tap screw type  (yes I know someone out there claims they're unreliable)
Tom claims to have used the screw type connectors for over 20 years
professionaly with good results.  He claims he has customers calling him
to gush over the results of his conversions constantly.  His repair guy
does the above work for about $35.  He claims this is the same as the
Crystal Balls mod (boy do I find that name offensive)  that Kevin's
does.  He thinks Kevin's price is a might high.

I also spoke to an old RCA engineer about all of the above.  His thoughts
were crystals are much happier with an impedance load approaching
infinity.  Anything that changed the impedance loading was going to
change the sound.  It seems guys from this era always have the same
reaction to tubes and crystals .  Why would you want to use that.
Apparently their lives got better with the advent of solid state.  Yippee
reliable stable circuits.  He of course suggested getting a cheap
condenser capsule and hiding it in the Astatic housing.

Anyone out ther use an Alesis Midiverb?  I figured out an awsome Leslie
program for it by accident.  I would be happy to share the results with
interested parties.  I'm curious to see if it works as well for others as
it does for me.  FJM