Re: Shanghai Harmonica Plant

> At  5:46 PM 10/26/94 +0000, Thomas_B._Colvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >     >  He said harmonica production this year was expected to climb to
> >     eight million...
> >     That's a remarkable production run.
> You gotta remember that the harmonica is the national instrument of China
> and that there's a lot of Chinese folk in China ... in fact, I've heard
> that if every person in China played harmonica at the same time, it would
> be almost as loud as a Fender Twin.
>	--hugh
	You guys are gonna love this...  I just found a "Star" Harmonica,
or at least that's what it mascarades as..   I believe this is the "Star"
harmonica we were speaking of, my model has coverplates that resemble a
cross between special 20 and Marine Bands, although they're lower.
There are some characters, Chinese I assume..  since it says "made in
China", and then last but not least, has "UC 520" stamped in the upper
right-hand corner, both plates are identical.  Now comes the funny part.
This "Harmonica" cost me $2.00 (rip-off), and I bought it as a novelty
item at the Evergreen State Fair.  It has 10 holes, although there is
only one reed per hole, and the first and last holes have no reead at
all.  It has 6 tones, because it doesn't quite go by Richter tuning.  The
body is made of balsa or bass, with red paint on the outside edges.  I
think I described this harp here once before, but now I think we know
what the "star" is...
	ERic