Hi (and some questions)

I just wanted to say 'hello' and introduce myself.  I've been reading
HARP-L for a few weeks now and so far have been absolutely _amazed_
and the amount of knowledge contained in the collective minds of
the various people here.  Y'all sure know your harps!

I picked up harp playing because of two reasons: 1) I love the blues
and every time I heard a cool harp riff, I'd say to myself "Damn that's
bitchin'!  I've got to learn how to do that"  and 2) I was planning
to quitting smoking and would need something to occupy my hands,
mouth and idle time.

So I got Blues Harp, borrowed a copy of the (something like) The Klutz
Guide to Harmonica Playing and tried to learn.  Since then I've gotten
two more harps, have read a few books on harp playing, and have
listened to as much harp playing as I can stand.

After struggling thru some of these harp playing books, I decided
they were not helping me out at all and have put them all aside.
The way I practice has been either to a) put the harp to my lips
and see what comes out or b) hear some good harp playing, get
inspired, pick up my harp and see if I can make it sound that good.
And I think it's worked so far.  I read three or four different
techniques on bending notes, tried my damndest to do that, but
no luck.  Then one magical day *holy shit* I bent a note!  Now
I can only wonder what the heck took so long.

So I have a couple of questions: 1) I know very close to nothing about
the arrangement of notes, different positions, how to move from
key to key, etc.  All I know is a) if I blow/draw this hole b) I
get this sound.  Do I need to study all this musical theory to
progress in my harp playing or can I just keep banging away at
whatever feels right?

Second, What is an overblow?  I've heard it mentioned a few times
here but haven't heard how to do it or what it should sound like.

Third, why don't they use some decent damn screws to hold the cover
plates on?!?

Fourth, _are_ there any good books on harp playing?

Fifth, tounge-blocking vs. lipping?  Which should I focus on.  I've
yet to have any luck with tounge-blocking but have heard that
recommended.  Should I be practicing that?

Sisth, what the hell am I doing here typing in such a long message;
I have some blues to play!

Thanks everyone for your help and for making this list so interesting.

-Ed.