Re: Obnoxious category/OPEN QUESTION.

Hi harpers,
		This is a little of the subject of the thread but....
Do you have what we would term as "sessions" in the USA?

By that I mean a group of musicians getting to gether in a pub (bar), or
at festivals in the sun or some other venue and just playing together.
Just for the fun of it.

I should add that the musicians may or may not know each other, and that
*ANYONE* is allowed to join in.

The pub sessions once a week, are a common part of life for many folk
musicians who play "diddly-dee" music (Trad. Irish, Scotish music)in
England.

Anyone who visits the city of Leeds in West Yorkshire, would be welcome
to join in and play in the Primrose pub every Tuesday night.
(I think it's Tues. I can find out if anyone wants)

You don't ask, you just sit in in England, Ireland and Scotland.

I was thinking about the comment someone made a day or two back.
Something like "Don't join a session if you're not invited", and "never
ask to join in on a session".

I *hope* the maxims above relate to "formal" performances in none formal
settings rather that the kind of thing I refere to in my question!

Just wondering,
Gordon