RE: Another lurker emerges

> Date sent:      Thu, 01 Sep 1994 07:20:17 -0700 (MST)
> From:           Barry Schaede <barrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Send reply to:  Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject:        RE: Another lurker emerges
> To:             Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Ooops I forgot something.  no one goes around making people that can read
> music feel bad or somehow less of a musician because of the musical
> skills and abilities they don't posess.  This seems to be a very common
> occurence among musicians that play by ear alone.  I don't mean one way
> is better than the other.  I do think that many "trained" musicians do. I
> appreciate greatly Winslows analasies of the harmonica as they relate to
> theory.  The leaps of understanding they make possible are sometimes
> truly amazing.  FJM

I think true musicianship involves the cultivation of both good
reading ability AND the ability to improvise in and out of various
styles of music--the more styles the better, from ancient sounds to
as much metal as one can stand without becoming negative.

Let's keep this dialogue open, everybody.  We desparately need some
understanding among the readers and non-readers!!!!

John