Re: How'd they do it?

> > Kim, is that a regular Champ or a vibro Champ? Is it possible to get
> >that reverb and thick tone with a regular Champ? My Champ doesn't have
> >any reverb. And I know, I know, it's not the equipment, it's the player.
> >(I was at a workshop with Charlie Sayles this weekend. He demonstrated
> >a couple of different blues harp styles with a vocal mic through a pa.
> >His Big Walter example was almost perfect). But "Whammer Jammer" just
> >sounds so much fatter than a Champ can get. Maybe it was one of the old
> >tweed Champs?
> >-Steve
> >
> I have a plain old blackface 1964 Champ that has the nicest tone of any harp amp I have.
> The fat tone doesn't come from the amp.  It comes from opening your throat up as wide as
> you can and playing with an open airstream.  I said this last week.  Big Walter used a Princeton,
> he had the fattest tone around.

> Bernie Clarke

....I do believe Steve knows that, Bernie. I've seen the boy play and
he's got that tone already...but some amps obviously sound better than
others. I've never been much of a silverface Champ fan myself, which is
what Steve has...as I recall, Kim's book said Dick was using a VibroChamp
blackface, but I could be wrong.