Re: New Crate amps?

Two days ago, I wrote:
> My friendly local music shop called me yesterday (they know I'm a sucker
> for new toys) and told me about some new Crate amps they just got in.

Well, of course I just had to drop by yesterday and try one out.  And of
course he's such a *nice* man that he let me just borrow one for the night
to road test it.  No intention to buy it (of course) I just wanted to try
one at a gig so's I could review it for other players.

Well ... I guess I must have liked it, as I am now the proud owner of a
2*12 Crate Vintage Club.  And it's only costing me my Fender Twin, my
Princeton and a small cash donation.

My review?  Unusually for me, it's fairly short:

Anyone looking for a classic harp tube amp could do a lot worse than try
one of these.  Don't be fooled by how they sound in the shop (not so good)
- beg, steal or borrow one to run at a gig.  But make sure you have enough
in the bank account before you do this!

At 18:36 9/14/94 -0700, Randy Lilleston wrote:
> The new Crates look cool too and are reasonably priced. They just put
>out a head in this "Vintage Club" series that I might try with a 2X10"
>cabinet I have.

I bet this setup would rock.  The 2*12" I just got is a little prone to
feedback (especially with the SM57 I was using last night - both my bullets
are in the shop), and I wish they did a 2*10 configuration in the combo
series, I'd have got that instead.

   -- hugh