Portnoy's technique

I'm looking for some help in figuring out how Jerry Portnoy
plays in such a percussive manner sometimes.  Specifically,
if you have Ronnie Earl's Soul Searching CD there is an instrumental
on it by Portnoy called Jerry Jumps In.  (It's a great tune for
learning a variety of moves, and what phrasing and tone!)  Anyhow,
when he plays the first few notes of the head on the 1 and 2 holes
and then repeats that phrase, he plays it in this punchy chucking
manner, and similarly when he goes to the IV chord.  Is this simply
quick exhales through a "mouth full of notes" before each draw note,
or does it involve tongue blocking (which I don't do below the 4 hole)?
I can play the whole tune note for note but  can't seem to get the
breathing and punch the he gets.

Mark Reuter