Re: Portnoy's technique

>I'm looking for some help in figuring out how Jerry Portnoy
>plays in such a percussive manner sometimes.

I have an hour or so tape of Portnoy giving an advanced
class on harp. He goes over the technique you described.

There are two ways, one is by toungue blocking the note and
then lifting the toungue to play the chord and the other is
by using pucker to imitate the toungue block and then
playing the chord hard and sharp. He says at one point
he used to block everyting, but now he finds it easier to
mix pucker and block, using pucker for warbles and effects
and puckering most other stuff. He goes into much more
detail and gives some exercises, but thats the gist of it.

     Keith