Thanks for the crash course...

Thanks to Hugh, Bernie Clarke and Rick Barker
for your invaluable suggestions and advice. I think
I'll follow the consensus opinion and get a new D
and use the old one as something to learn tuning on.
I am also relieved to see the 'breaking in' myth
exploded by the experienced players on this list.
I'll definitely re-gap the reeds but I would be interested
in hearing how you do it Hugh - I just gently push the
reed from near its anchor point till I feel that I can
draw/blow as hard as I want and I don't hear the reed
choke. I also do some minimal checks on reed alignment.
I'd like to do something about burrs but I don't have tools
for that kind of delicate work.
Thanks again
Shankar.