RE: Chromatics

    Kevin writes...
    >I'm thinking of trying the chromatic myself.  If I purchase one I want a
    >good one that will last years.  It also must have a plastic comb.  I'm
    >seriously thinking of a Hohner 64.
    > Can someone tell me the difference between the:
    > 280/64    The 64 Chromonica
    >7574/64    Larry Adler
    >7582/64    Super 64 Chromonica
    >7584/64    Super 64X
    >7586/64    Silver Shadow 64
    >  What would the majority of you recommend?
    >Thanks,           -Kevin

    Hello Kevin,

    I think the Hering 64's are worth considering...

    New Hering 64 (16 hole chromatic) will have covers and reed plates bolted
    onto a comb similar to "but not a copy of" Farrell's lifetime comb. He
    sent them one of his 12 hole combs (he doesn't make a 16 hole) and they
    evidently liked the idea - He didn't say what the material is but
    obviously some kind of plastic. $93.00  - available in a couple weeks -

    Above posted about three weeks ago - A little more expensive but I think
    worth considering if you want a 16 hole with longevity and ease of future
    self repairs. (actually I think it is the same cost as Farrell's Hohner
    280 price). You might give Farrell a call and get his opinion on the
    harmonica - if he dosen't like it he probably won't sell it.

    Caution - The Hohner 280/64 although a fine instrument is still "nailed"
    together. I.e., Nails pressed through the plastic come hold the reed
    plates on - A real bear to work on. The other Hohner 64's are bolted.

    All Hering's are bolted - older Hering models had a wood laminate comb,
    newer models (I think) have a plastic or some man made material comb.

    Obviously you want a 16 hole (my favorite too) but if you want a 12 hole I
    would recommend the Hohner CX12.

          Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio              SYS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx