RE: Good chromatic book?

    >Steve writes...
    >Can anyone recommend a good beginner's chromatic book for blues and jazz
    >playing? <...del...>
    >I don't read music and I'm primarily a blues player.
    >Thanks in advance, Steve

    Steve,

    	Before I recommend any books I have to recommend that you learn to
    read music. [a] It makes learning the chromatic easier - or at least a
    more logical process. [b] It will help you learn / understand jazz. [c]
    Most chromatic courses and I suspect jazz courses are based on reading.
    (What? this from one who learned chromatic by ear???)

    	Now my recommendations FWTW...

    I would recommend two books. (the first from an earlier post)

    #1  Tommy Morgan's "Chromatic Harmonica Method"  HF-2004
    Originally: Gwyn Publishing Co. - Warner Bros. Publications Inc.
    75 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, New York 10019

    ***New Publisher: Alfred's publishing - Cat. number 3341 - Address n/a ***

    This was copyrighted 1972 - so I don't know how good the address is - but
    it's still the best book on chromatic I have ever seen. Check a good music
    store or sheet music house. It may still be in print - in fact I'm curious
    whether it is. Also contains brief section on chord and bass harmonica.
    --- I just called Stanton's Music (Columbus) and they say it is in print -
    However now by Alfred's publishing - Catalog number 3341 - It would be my
    guess this is a re-print of the same or very similar book. They do not
    have it in stock otherwise I would stop in and check it out. (Winslow
    replied and confirmed that this is the same book) ----
    BTW - They take phone / mail orders...
     Stanton's Sheet Music (614)224-4257, 339 S. 4th St., Columbus, OH 43215

    #2 An Introduction to Jazz Style on the Chromatic Harmonica
       Arranged by Ted Simons - Performed by Charlie Leighton, Harmonica and
       Ted Simons, Piano. (Book and Audio Tape)

    Includes both sheet music and an instructional audio tape. Five familiar
    tunes, arranged in common keys - two choruses each. "The first chorus is
    the basic melody, the second is a variation on the melody in a jazz style
    that captures the feel of an improvised chorus". The sheet music includes
    transcriptions of both choruses for each tune - also includes chord
    symbols. Tape side A has harmonica with piano accompaniment. Side B has
    piano only, ala MMO. $19.95 + $1.50 from Farrell.

    A friend got this and after listening to a couple tunes and looking at the
    book I ordered it for myself. Maybe it's because I like the tunes ("Blue
    Skies", "I Can't Get Started", "What's New", "Our Love Is Here To Stay",
    and "Exactly Like You".) - Or maybe it's Charlie's beautiful playing???
    The arrangements look pretty easy (and I'm a so-so reader - I still have
    to go through the EGBDF and FACE routine). Some are in the key of C and
    others in F if I remember correctly.

          Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio              SYS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx