Re: Megaphone? Freeway Break-In? Plastic Carrybox?

> Hi-  speaking of non-sequiturs, I posit the following:
>
> 1) Have any of you had any experiences playing through a megaphone?  I'm not
> sure why anybody would want to, mind you, other than to be silly.  But if you
> could figure out a way to attach it there might be some value.  Not that I ever
> intend to be a showman.  It's just a thought.

One of our locals here, Preston Smith, uses a cheap Radio shack megaphone, and
sounds pretty good on it, too!  He just holds it up to the mic and plays.  no
cup, etc.  I'm sure you could get a much fatter sound from it by using some
type of cupping mechanism to effect a seal.

> 3) Finally, have any of you hand-made a good carrying case using dense gray
> foam rubber packing material and say, a plastic fishing tackle box or tool box?
> Any pointers, tips?  Where did you get the foam?

You might check with some electronics part suppliers on that.  Darker colored
foam is often antistatic foam used to protect ESD sensitive CMOS circuitry.
Of course, your main concern is that it stays intact.  Little pieces of foam
rubber don't get along well with brass reeds or windpipes.

I've seen some nifty cases using wooden separators.  This is what Lee Oskar
was using the last time I saw him.  He has at least a giggly-zillion harps
(but I understand he gets a good deal on Oskars :-)

Me?  I bought a Hohner 12 harp case.

 --  mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx