Echoplex

A while back I remeber a brief discussion on how Walter Horton got that
vibrato tone on the Sun recording of ~Easy~.  Well I have a theory.  I
think it's an echoplex or some other sound on sound tape device.  Not so
much the vibrato that's him more the distorted edge and the slap back
echo seem very reminiscent of an echoplex sound. I just recently acquired
a solid state echoplex and I'm amazed at the number of tones this thing
allows me to replicate.  Bunches of Little Walter stuff.  Not just the
Blue Midnight long delay stuff but also the sounds I'd always thought
were reverb seem more akin to delay now that I have the echoplex to
compare it to.  The other stuff on the Sun collection, the Dr. Ross stuff
in particular has also got that same echoplex kind of saturated
hysteresis distortion delay on it.   I'm curious if anyone has any actual
recording details that would either confirm my suspicions or show them to
be wrong.  FJM