Re: Mics or Amps

> I use a Shure SM58 on a stand and I back away from it about 5 to 7 inches
> because I find if you hold the mic right in your hand it distorts the
> sound of the harmonica.

The SM58 is a cardioid dynamic, and because it's directional, is probably not
the best choice for handheld harp amplification.  A decent quality
omnidirectional mic will have a smoother response, will color the sound less
when hand cupped, and is MUCH cheaper than an equivalent quality cardioid.
You pay a BUNDLE for directionality!

> I run this through a solid state Peavey PA which
> has the advantage that I can run all the vocal mics through it.  Now, I
> admit my sound is a little more reminiscent of Sonny Terry or Sonny BoyII
> than LW, but remember what harps used to sound like?  =8^)-o-

Fr solid state amping, the "acoustic" sound is a good way to go.  Overdriven
transistors have a lot in common with fingernails on the blackboard.

Reminds me of a scene from an old "Pink Panther" movie, where the villain is
torturing the professors daughter to make him reveal the "secret".  He pulls
out this HUGE medieval iron glove with VERY long "fingernails", walks over to
the daughter - and scrapes it down the blackboard!  He got the secret, too!

 -- mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx