Re: Mics or Amps

> At 12:29 PM 2/1/95, Mike Curtis wrote:
> >The SM58 is a cardioid dynamic, and because it's directional, is probably not
> >the best choice for handheld harp amplification.  A decent quality
> >omnidirectional mic will have a smoother response, will color the sound less
> >when hand cupped, and is MUCH cheaper than an equivalent quality cardioid.
> >You pay a BUNDLE for directionality!
>
> 58's are not expensive unless one compares them with the chartreuse plastic
> mics that come with built in reverb. If one wants to move _up_ to a 58 from
> there, it's gonna cost ya a bundle.

You can buy an excellent quality omnidirectional dynamic for around $20
retail that'll blow the pants off the SM58 soundwise.  However, if you try
to use it for live vocals, it'll feed back, because it's not
directional.  When you hand-cup a cardioid mic, you distort its pattern,
defeating the engineering you're paying all that money for.

And no, SM58's aren't all that expensive.  I see them all the time for
around $100., or maybe a little more.

I have an Audio-Technica ATM31, which is a condenser cardioid.  I use it
for vocals and harp whenever I don't want to use my bullet or JT30.  It
has a flatter response across midrange than the SM58, a really nice
treble response that dynamics only dream about, and the bass response is
rolled off, just as a good vocal mic should have.  I opted for this one
over a much better condenser that had a razor flat response but too much
bass response for vocal use.

> And as a told this list a few months ago, the reason I like 58's is I can
> pound nails with 'em all day and sing through all night.

yup - that's the one good thing about most of the Shure dynamics.
They're TOUGH!  And it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see someone
pounding nails with some of the more durable Shures.  I've seen singers
use them as maces all night, every night, and do nothing worse than drive
the engineer nuts and break mic cables.

 -- mike