Re: Special-20 tuning

> It seems like I have to retune my guitar to play with a harper using Special
> 20's.  Are they tuned about a half-step off of A-440 or am I losing it?

All Hohners are referenced to A440 (or darn close.)

Most likely, he "chokes" them when he plays.  That'll bring the pitch down
something on the order of a half step.  To check, ask him to blow on one
without touching it to his mouth.  If that's on key, then it's his
technique, and he needs to relax his mouth and open it up inside.  When
old Mister Tongue gets too attached to the roof of the mouth, the pitch
flattens.

It's also possible that his collection has gone flat from age and use,
although that would surprise me if ALL of 'em are half a step flat.  Does
he soak his harps?  That can cause premature pitch loss.

 --  mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx