Re: Big Walter's Best

Since nobody mentioned the work he did as a sideman.  He recorded
with Johnny Shines for the JOB label in the 50's in Chicago.  His
work on Evening Sun has got to be some of the hottest blues waxed
in the heyday of Chicago Blues.  These sides have been released on
a CD with Johnny Shines and Robert Jr. Lockwood.

Big Walter also recorded for United or States in Chicago in the 50's.
These sides are also very good.  He plays in an amplified style.  On
some of these cuts,  he fronts the band on others he is a sideman.
These were released on a subsidiary of Delmark Records in the 80's.
I am not sure if these are available on CD.  I've got an LP version.

His work for Cobra is also featured on a recent CD release called
Chicago Blues Harmonicas.  This features Walter as a sideman with
Sunnyland Slim (playing very amplified harp),  Arbee Stidham,  and
a couple of cuts under his own name.  These (along with alternate
takes) were issued in LP format on Flyright a few years back.

Big Walter is an interesting study.  He has recorded some of the
absolute hottest blues harp on wax (or aluminum) and he has recorded
some of the lousiest material.  It seems like he would record for
anyone with cash.  A lot of garbage Big Walter material was released
after his death.  (I think I own most of it and would never think of
selling it.)

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Joe