Re: Music and the Misses

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Mike Curtis wrote:

> I'll take a wild guess that your wife is a smaller lady.  Physically
> smaller individuals have smaller auditory systems, which affects their
> range of hearing (smaller = higher.) There's a story about a man showing
> his friend his new "dog whistle" that "only dogs can hear".  He blew it at
> his old, large German Shepherd, who ignored it - but his three year old
> child started crying!

Hi,
	Well it was a VERY wild guess! She is a *BIG* girl!  ;^

Sorry to disagree here Mike, but.......

Also "(smaller = higher.)"  I would tend to look on this with more than
a grain of salt. It seems too much like drawing the wrong conclusions
from the right info. Logical thinking has a habbit of leading to these
results sometimes.

The concept may hold true when looking at (say) small animals and birds.
I would be tempted to look for documented proof however, before accepting
the concept of "small = higher" , when applied to humans.

Female opera singers can be VERY big ladies, and have high voices.
Yet we think of big folk having DEEP voices.

The story about the dog and the child may well be anecdotal anyway. Even
if it is not, you will have an extra varialble here. A three year old,
under normal circumstances, will have full range, unspoilt hearing for a
start.

Gordon

	  ****This computer works perfectly until accessed.****

  -----"Its no good talking to me, its just the same as talking to you."------