Re: breathing control

> Got to ask you for a few tips.I'm a beginner, playing pucker, and after
> analysing the way i play, among a whole set of problems, i find that my
> breathing control to be one of the major ones, especially when i try to
> play a whole scale, for instence.I suddenly feel "airless", and i got to
> make a quick stop to fill my lungs.i did some reading, and most frequent

Several hints:

1. Take vitamin E.  This gives you more oxygen in your system, and allows
you to be less dependent on breathing.

2. Do aerobic exercises to build up your lungs and chest.

3. Do DEEP breathing exercises, forcing ALL air out of your lungs.
Exhale as much as you can - then FORCE more air out!  Takea DEEP breath -
hold it - then FORCE more air into your lungs.

4. Learn to use your diaphragm (bottom of your lung cavity, just above
your stomach) to breathe.  If you've ever had the wind knocked out of you
by a blow to the solar plexus, you know EXACTLY where your diaphragm is.

5. Plan your riffing.  If you know that a particular passage uses more
"draw" than "blow", start with lungs full.

6. Learn how to use "rests" in your playing.  There's nothing that says
you have to fill every instant with notes.  Jimmy Vaughn is a very good
example of this on guitar.  Unfortunately, I can't think of any well
known harp players that make extensive use of rests (but I'm sure a list
will be quickly forthcoming, and I'd like to see comments on this!)

> advice i've encountered was something like "let your body take control,
> relax,try not to force it,it'll come naturally".Well my body is not taking
> the control it should, so i'll need you to save me from any brain damage
> caused due to lack of oxygen.that relates me to another question.
> Many of you discussed sugar's ability to play fast riffs, and i was kind
> of wondering if puckers can achieve that kind of preformance, or should
> i get used to tongue blocking method to play fast, and basically, how
> do you control your breathing when playing that fast ?.

You'll notice that his fast riffing is not constant.  It's of a more
"bursty" nature.  He takes time to breathe between riffs.

Also, when you're doing a passage with a lot of draws, open your nose and
take in air.  Ditto for blows.  Use this to allow more air exchange than
you'd normally get just from the harp.

Question: how many harp players depend on their noses being clear and
have trouble playing with a head cold?  How many carry nasal spray or
other nasal decongestants with their kits?