Re: valved diatonics

On Fri, 10 Feb 1995, Mike Curtis wrote:

> Overblows and overdraws cannot be done on valved harps.
>
> Overblows and overdraws RAISE the pitch of the reed.  Bends LOWER the
> pitch.  Overblows/overdraws are done to the lowest reed in a hole.  Bends
> (on non valved harps) are done to the high reed in a hole.  they're much
> harder to do than bends, and you might want to adjust the reed offset of
> the "opposite" reed.  Apparently, a smaller offset makes overblowing
> easier.

So is the only disadvantage to valves the fact that overblows/draws can't
be done?  If you could bend every note with valves, why would you ever
need overblows?  You should be able to get all your notes much easier.
Is this the case?

I'm interested in all aspects of ads/disads.  Maintenance, how they
affect longevity, everything.

> My first impulse was to reply privately, but I've received a lot of mail
> regarding valves, and though a little bandwidth was warranted for this
> IMHO important topic.  But perhaps we should move it to a private discussion
> (unless we get a bunch of requests to keep it here.)

I'm glad you posted.  There are a lot of lurkers who will benifit from
it, IMHO.  I try to use the archives as much as I can, but I get so
many error messages.

Speaking of the archives, I've read posts that there is a compilation of
overblow/draw postings explaining the technique in depth.  Can someone
tell me where to locate this?

Mark