Re: Suzuki Pro Harps

For J. Hanson, Mike Curtis and any other Suzuki Pro (Aluminum comb) players,

	Checked with my colleague and fellow harper here in my dept., Mark
Holland, who is a molecular biologist/biochemist about the aluminum worries.
Basically, as the Aussies say "no worries mate!".  First, the aluminum connection to Alzheimer's is weak at best, as we get a LOT of aluminum in our systems
from cookware, etc.  If if actually caused memory loss, etc., we all should be
in very bad shape.  Secondly, probably one of the worst things to clean an
aluminum comb with would be an acid like citric acid, as this would accelerate
the etching of the metal, etc.  Relax, sit back and enjoy a beer out of an
aluminum can and listen to some good harp music!  Finally, I would suggest that
you do as Mike does and give your comb a good scrubbing with posish or what
ever works for you.  Then coat the comb with a spray on clear lacquer or easier
perhaps still if you or your wife/significant other has some clear nail polish/
sealer.  That will seal off (nearly forever!) the aluminum surface and still
provide a good tone without the yucky metallic taste.  Give it a try and let
me know how it works (I don't have any aluminum combed harps, yet, but Mike IS
peaking my interest!).
Regards,
Bill Grogan