Re: Which harps stay in tune longest?

I think it's RKT. that always says your mileage may vary.  In my
experience Blues Harps last the shortest time.  Lee Oskars seem to last
the longest.  Special 20's are a close second.  What I find funny about
all this discussion of longevity is that no one has mentioned the single
most important variable in harmonica life.  Playing environment.  If I
play an unamplified acoustic gig in a small cafe I'm almost sure to crack
a reed because I play louder to compensate.  It's even worse if i play
outside unamplified.  Loud club gigs are also a sure bet for cracked
reeds.  What's going on is I'm overplaying and damaging the reeds.  To a
lesser extent that's what anyone does that blows out harmonicas.  They're
playing them in a way that was never intended by the manufacturer.
Have'nt we all gotten the stern lecture note from both Hohner and Lee
Oskar when we return damaged harmonicas?  Now don't get me wrong there's
nothing wrong with playing like this.  I don't do it much anymore because
I'm more interested in subtleties of tone that are not to be found by
playing loudly.  There is a lot of broad brush stroke loud playing that
is to be admired and is worth copying.  Now on to the second subject of
the day.  Overall Harmonica length.

The shortest regular 10 hole diatonic I own is a Special 20 non MS type.
This is closely followed by a Marine Band. ( BTW I can't believe that the
Marine Band and the Special 20 share reed plates due to the simple fact
that the two reed plates aren't the same length.  The Special 20 plate
also lacks the characteristic Marine Band groove at the leading edge of
the plate)  The 3rd shortest harmonica is a Meisterklasse finally
followed by a Suzuki.  In a virtual dead heat for longest are the
following four harmonicas, Golden Melody, Big River, Lee Oskar, and a
Tombo Ultimo.  Survey results were obtained by turning the harmonicas on
edge on a flat surface and sighting over the the tops.  There seemed to
be less ambiguity involved this way.  FJM