Re: 1st position blues

<Stuff about .wav files and "how do you do it?>

I don't knnow about the Mac, but on IBM clones, you need a Sound Blaster
or similar card.  My CDROM interface has one built in.  It has audio
jacks on it.  I plug a cable into it, and into my audio device (tape
deck, microphone, etc.), and record up to a minute.  Longer would be
nice, but a minute is enough for a lot of things.

.wav files are not compressed (or maybe slightly compressed??)  .aud
files are more compressed, but at the cost of fidelity.  My "recorder"
has three choices for .aud files, and the most highly compressed sounds
horrible.  The other two aren't as bad, but you can hear audio
degradation in all.  File sizes will range from about 100k to a meg, or
sometimes 1.5 meg if you use faster sampling and more bits - but you get
a MUCH better sound with these options.

 -- mike