Re: Kendrick amplifier

> > Some sound engineers I've worked with recently asked me to tell ya'all
> >Harp-l'ers about an amp designed especially for the harmonica, the Kendrick
> >Texas Crude Classic Harmonica Amplifier.  These engineers have recognized
> >some of the special needs of harp players, which are different qualities
> >than guitar players want.
>
>   ...And before you buy one, don't forget to sell your house!
>
>   This brings up an interesting point: "Boutique" amp makers (and Kendrick
> makes wonderful amps, BTW) always say they charge so much because of the
> labor expense of making "hand-wired" amps. My question: Why is there so much
> more labor expense? Heck, you have to solder all the components in place on
> a PC-board amp as well, so the difference should just be a few bus wires.

not true.

Using typical mass production techniques, very little human intervention
is required.  Machines stick the parts onto the PCB on a conveyer belt,
and the boards go through what basically amounts to an oven where the
solder is melted onto the parts.  Or possibly through a solder bath.
either way, most of it is done by machines.  It is this technology that
has made electronics exponentially cheaper over the years, taking into
consideration inflation, etc.

In 1969, I bought a 15" color TV for $350, and that was a good price!
Today, I can buy a NICER 15"  set for LESS than $350.  And $350 back then
was GOOD money for a months full time labor.  Today, it's more like a week
at MacDonalds.

> (Of course, I understand that there's also economies of scale to consider,
> but a Kendrick Bassman-style amp costs three times as much as the Fender
> reissue at a discount).

A lot of the "reissue" stuff is vastly overpriced for what we get.  As
time goes by and competition gets stiffer, it will come down in price,
just like VCRs, Camcorders, computers, DATs, CDs, etc.

>   Some of this appears to be changing. Dr. Z amps and a new guy in Chicago
> both are starting to sell tube combos in the $1,000 range.

We have a few shops out here in southern California that sell vintage amps
at good prices.  Of course, if you INSIST on a particular amp (e.g.
genuine 1953 tweed Fender Bassman with 4 10's, etc.), you'll pay through
the nose.  But there are PLENTY of vintage tube amps that have great sound
but not as big a name that can be had for a lot less.  And if you don't
mind a hybrid (e.g. tube finals and solid state preamp, or vice versa),
you can get some very good amplifiers for a LOT less.

 -- mike