Pignose Amps

Yo Harp People,
     There's been a lot of Amp talk lately and you've piqued my curiosity
about an amp I haven't seen in the stores lately but I still see in Kevin's
catalogue and in F&R Farrell's.  I'm referring to the ol' Pignose.  Their
extremely small size is very appealing to me.  That they even work on
batteries is an added pluss.  I of course don't expect them to have any
guts to speak of, but I'm wondering  what they sound like.  If I never see
them in a store, I'll never get the chance to test one.
      I already have an amp that works ok,but lately I've been wishing I
had an amp that was way more portable, and one that was easier to
overdrive.  I'm not a pro so I'm having a hard time justifing to myself the
purchase of a second amp.  Maybe I haven't shopped long enouph, but I
haven't heard an amp I liked yet that cost less than $200.  (that's too
much for me, seeing as I already have one that works.)
     How many of you folks have these little buggers?  What do they sound
like?  Are they clean when played at mid volume through a vocal mic?  Are
they nice-n-nasty when played at a higher volume through an Astatic?  Is
there a world of difference between the way they sound when running on
batteries as apposed to when they are plugged in to the wall?

Thanks,
-Rod

--
Rod Thomas                              email:   skt2@xxxxxxx
Illustrator                               phone:  (617) 449-0480