Re: which chromatic

> I've heard (here) that the CX-12 is probably the most overpriced
> instrument in the harmonica world, so unless someone can tell me
> from personal experience that it is actually a much better harp,
> I'll probably cross that off the list.

I have a CX-12, and it's nothing short of incredible.  It plays like a
dream.  It's _V_E_R_Y_ airtight and responsive.  It has the absolutely
best tone of any chromatic I've ever played or heard - a BIG, FAT, well
rounded tone.  In fact, even if I were to rant on for several paragraphs,
it would not be sufficient  to express my feelings on its tone.  It it's
mouth harps they hand out in Heaven, it's probably the CX-12 :-)

When I first got it, I was a little disappointed - I thought it was going
to be a heavier instrument like other chro's - but as soon as I played it,
it was love at first sound!  If they made a 16 hole version, it would be
as close to perfect as you'd want.

In fact, the only criticism I have of it is that, the way it comes from
the factory, the reeds choke if you try to play it super-hard.  However,
it has more than enough dynamic range, so this isn't really a problem.
Besides, chromatic reedsets are probably not cheap (I haven't seen prices
on them anywhere), and I would imagine a chromatic player wouldn't want
to play as hard as some of us play on (relatively) cheap diatonics with
easily obtainable replacement reedsets.

I currently own the CX-12 and an old Yamaha chromatic. I've owned several
different Hohner chromatics in the past, but this was LONG in the past.

 -- mike