Re: Pignose Amps

> Nope...no tubes.  It runs on a battery, or on an adapter.
> It's got about a 3" speaker.  As I said...I really like it.
> But when I asked a guitarist I know well what he liked
> about his Pig he said:
>
> It's small...it makes noise.
>
> So I remind you that my words are only MY opinion!. He
> actually uses it on his workbench to check his
> chords/guitars when he's repairing equipment.
>
> Now I...turn it up loud and pretend I'm ZZ top.  Chortle.

The Pignose has an amazingly good tone for a little solid state practice
amp.  No tone controls - just a volume control with a knob that looks
like - you guessed it - a pigs nose.

The enclosure is normally sealed, and looks a bit like a trunk.  If you
open it partially, you can get some really interesting sounds from it.
We did a recording session (guitar) using a pignose and a strat.  The
pignose was set to low (non-distorted) volume and close mic'd.  The track
came off sounding more like an acoustic guitar than a strat.

But the most popular "sound" is the heavy-metal-overdrive sound.

And if you want to sound like someone, ZZ Top is as good a choice as any
:-)

 -- mike