Re: Bad advice or not?

>I caught Tim Moody's suggestion to you to park both thumbs on either
>side of your embouchure to get a better seal and with all respect to
>Tim I think it's bad advice. It's not true that there is no "right"
>way to hold a harp. The classic grip is the way to go

If it didn't work for me I wouldn't have posted it. I found the "classic"
way to hold the harp caused a lot of air leakage, and here is the key phrase
folks, IN MY HANDS. In netspeak that's IMHO. I would never suggest anyone
not try the "classic"(whatever that means) method for holding a harp.
However, if that doesn't work for you there are several other methods for
holding a harp. I don't hold my harps like Big Walter cause my hands are
only about half his size. I had to come up with my own technique. The bottom
line here folks, is the prior post was meant to be a supplement to all the
other suggestions, not the only way or the best way, just another way. If it
doesn't work for you, don't use it. If all else has failed for you, then at
least try it. The "classic" grip has been illustrated in just about every
harp book written and has several different variations. Some books show the
classic way is to place one hand into the other  for a good airtight seal.
Other books tell you to place them side by side, "like you're gonna drink
water out of your hands". Not all hands or mouths for that matter are shaped
the same and it take an individual effort to find out what's right for you.

PS Embouchure is the mouthpiece of a wind instrument and also the way lips
are applied to a mouthpiece to make a tone. They way I use my hands, I have
always considered them to be part of my embrouchure. Maybe also the distance
between my harp and mic to be part of that. What does anyone think?

Thanks
Tim