Re: Bad advice or not?

    I don't see anything wrong with the thumb suggestion (nor any of the
    others for that matter). I've made similar suggestions to beginners having
    trouble getting a single note. That is to lay your index fingers on the
    mouthpiece (horizontally opposed - whoa?) so that only one hole is
    exposed. They soon get the one note down pat without the help of fingers
    anymore. Just a temporary crutch. But, if they learn to play well that
    way, who cares. Watch Toots sometime - talk about unorthodox.

    Jack