Re: Misc. 64x, Pete

>    Re: Noisy 64x slide
>    	I have the same problem - seems to be fairly common with this model.
>    	When you polish this is it a manual job or is it safe to do on a
>    machine? Considering how easy these parts bend.
>    	Also, seems a light coating of Conn's Formula 3, (or any good, clear,
>    tasteless slide oil) would be worthwhile after all that polishing.

The actual polishing of the slide assembly I did on a flat Japanese water
stone. ( I do a lot of wood working so have those stones for sharpening
chisels. They can be obtained from a place called Garret Wade in the US)
This basically de-burred all the openings and polished up the surface metal.
Then I took the whole thing to a buffing wheel on a grinder. The wheel is a
felt pad on which I rub some Green rubbing compound also known as jewler's
rouge. There are many different grits available, but the green stuff is the
finest. This felt wheel will polish but won't take your fingers off. So I
gently approach the slide plates to the wheel and slowly but surely apply
very light pressure. You don't really have to polish the slide plates to a
mirror finish. But the touch up did marvels. The only problem is that the
gold anodizing ( I think it is anodizing) will be polished off somewhat. The
parts are fragile and easy to bend, so you got to go easy on the wheel. But
on the flat stone, it is not a problem. You apply finger pressure and rub away!

What does Joe Filisko have to say about this? Do you know if he uses
jewler's buffing wheels to work some parts over?
For me, the buffing wheel has been great. I now do the reed plate edges and
cover plates of marine bands on it and they are as smooth as the ones on a
Meisterklasse and I don't cut my lips on them.

                          Christian Laferriere
                           Gatineau, Quebec
                          Icepick@xxxxxxxx