RE: Straight harp albums

Hi Paul,

>Hello, folks!
>	I play both straight and cross harp, but am much more proficient in the
>former.  Can you recommend some good albums/CDs featuring lots of straight
>harp?
>		Thanks, Paul Jenkins
>			jenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I guess you're talking diatonic straight harp (or first position). The late Don
Les was ~THE~ unequaled master of straight harp jazz on the diatonic. I can't
think of anyone else who played straight harp exclusively, as Don did. He had
two cassettes out titled (I think) "Don Les, Harmonicat Vol. 1 and Vol. 2".
Unfortunately, these were all gone the last I heard. You might check with F & R
Farrell. If he's out, I don't know where you would get them - maybe someone on
HARP-L knows??

At the time of Don's death he was in the studio putting the finishing touch on
a CD. I have not heard anything further on this. I don't know if it will ever
be completed or not. There could be legal ramifications. It would be a shame if
these wonderful recordings are not made available again.

BSHC has a video of Don Les (backed by Bud Boblink and Frank Robinson) from the
1994 Buckeye Harmonica Festival. This was Don's next to last performance - his
last being at SPAH in July '94. If you're interested in a video please contact
me by private E-mail.

       Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio  --Internet--> IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx