Re: mic&amp

>   Keep in mind though if you are using a high Z (impedance)
> >mic you should not be using a cable greater than 15 ft. to
> >insure that you don't unknowningly rolloff the high end but,
> >thats another story.
>
> I know about the reasons for short hi-Z lines in theory, but in
> general practice, I have had no trouble with long high impedance
> cords on stage.  I have had some mic cords made for my JT-30
> that were 50'.  If there is a rolloff in the high end, I have unconciously
> fixed it at the amp by turning up the treble.  I have never had trouble

Actually, high loss isn't the big factor.  Loading the crystal (or
ceramic) element is.  It affects your lower frequency response adversely.

Of course, if you get the sound you want, then the point is moot :-)

> getting the tone I wanted because of a long cord.  I would be more
> concerned about noise in long cords if they were cheap.  I use at a min
> Belden GA-1 (I thnk this is wire designation), make sure the cable
> maker is using good connectros on the cables too.  Amphenol or
> Switchcraft for the screw down two conductor connector on the mic and
> Neutrik or Switchcraft on the 1/4" plug.  You'll be glad you bought good
> cords in the long run (pardon the pun).  Remember Albert Collins used 100'
> cords on his guitar and I don't think he was losing any high end :-).

If you put his RAW guitar sound on a spectrum analyzer, you'd see a
definite loss of highs (like a "raw" Fender Strat, etc. - the "trebly"
sound.)  Collins had an incredible guitar sound, but it was pretty
"mellow", typical of humbucking pickups.  He played plenty of high NOTES,
but that's not the same thing.

Compare his sound to Buddy Guys.  Buddy plays a Fender single coil
guitar, and it has quite a bit of highs.  That's what gives it the
"gritty" sound.  And ditto Stevie Ray and Jimmy Vaughn.

B.B. King plays humbuckers, and while he hits plenty of high NOTES, it
has no treble.

> Taking
> walks is kind of hot-dogging, but the crowd always loves it and you're getting
> paid to entertain the audience.  You make the call.
 I use a cordless (actually, two of 'em - one for guitar, and another
for harp.)  And yes, the audiences LOVE it when you "come to them".
They go nuts when I lay down on the floor while doing a steamy harp
solo.  And the audience IS paying to be entertained.  Music is just part
of the package.  Give 'em what they want and they'll give you what you
want (more work, more applause, and more money!)

-- mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx