Open mic nights/Open jams

Greetings from a lurker who's been with you all for some time!

I was wondering if someone could tell me a little bit about open jams.
I'm moving to England in a few weeks and have always wanted to try this
out.  Is there an acceptable skill level you need to be at in order to
hop in on most of these?  I havn't had the opportunity to try it out
here, as there aren't any bluesy clubs here that do this.

I've been playing harp for a couple of years, acoustically.  I jam with
friends and stuff, but am not satisfied with my tone, and feel I repeat a
lot of the same licks often.

I really feed off an audience however.  Do some clubs take more to
average players than others?  Maybe I just need a kick in the ass.

Great list, by the way!  I've learned a lot!

Mark
mbragg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx