Re: To Tongue-Block or not to tongue-block?

> Howdy y'all-
>
> OK, so I've been playing north of 2 years, and I've never really given tongue-
> blocking much more than a passing try.  I guess cuz when I first started
> learning my book described it as one option to get a single note and thought
> maybe it'd be a better development of technique if I could do it just with
> the appropriate lipgrip (hey, a snigglet!).  Anyway, I'm wondering do almost
> all accomplished players use this technique, or, except for the most dramatic
> and quickest of note changes, tongue blocking is just one way to change a note?
> What's the word, team?

Most accomplished blues players I've asked use lipping.  Having the tongue
free gives you a lot more flexibility for bending and articulating.  But
the BEST thing to do is master both.  Harmonica can get boring (especially
to the harp player!) with an inadequate arsenal of tools.

This is also a good argument for mastering different positions on the
harp.  I've been getting some incredible reactions from crowds by using
6th position (B on a C harp) on one of my original tunes.

 -- mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx