Re: Mic Mods

> My pet theory (it's as good as anyone else's) is that the old mics sound
>the way they do because of the aging of the element, and because of the
>use of thicker wire from the mic leads to the connector. But who knows? I
>also suspect they sound better because people have decided they must
>sound better (more grinning). Oh, well...
 Your pet theory is not too far off the mark. I am told that he old crystal
elements have a hydrophillic tendency which means that they crave water. The
humidity or water will disintegrate the element imparting it a sweeter tone.
However, too much exposure and the element is shot. So the ideal older
element is one that has been exposed to some humidity with age.
So I am told...

                          Christian Laferriere
                           Gatineau, Quebec
                          Icepick@xxxxxxxx