Chromatic Method

I figured out a good way to learn chromatic licks/songs that I want to
share with the list and get some advice on.

What I did was chose one song that I know pretty well on diatonic. The
song I chose was Big Walter's version of "Don't Get Around Much Anymore."
First I transcribed it (to the best of my knowledge - I don't play it
100% correct and I'm not sure about some of the bends). Then, with the
help of Steve Baker's Harp Handbook I figured out what notes I
transcribed. (and again, I wasn't 100% sure about what some of the bent
notes were) Then I found the same notes on the chromatic, using a diagram
from David Harp's chromatic book. I definitely have the melody down, and
I'm working on getting it smoothly. It's not a hard tune to play -
there's only one slide in note - the three draw slide in. (the Bb)

My question for you pros and experienced chromatic players is is this the
right way to go about learning? I mean, am I really learning chromatic
playing or am I just duplicating cross harp on the chromatic? So far it
seems like a pretty good idea, but I don't know if I'll be able to figure
out more complicated licks that way. But, on the other hand, the more
songs I learn, in different keys on the C chromatic the more notes I'll
become familiar with. Maybe I can train my ear that way. I don't know -
maybe some of you can point out the pros and cons of learning this way. I
picked up third position chromatic blues pretty quickly, since I've been
using third position on the diatonic for a few years. On chromatic I want
to learn to play blues in all the keys and learn jazz, ragtime, etc.

   Waiting for my "Jazz Harp" book,

       -Steve