Re: Hendrix of the Harmonica

>At  1:07 PM 1/20/95 -0600, Christian N Michalek wrote:
>>Johnny Mars, John Pooper, Madcat, Sugar Blue as well as others have been
>>at one time or another labeled "the Jimi Hendrix of the harmonica"
>>
>>What is up with this?  If any,  who do you think is the Jimi of the
>>harmonica and why?....

>The sound Jimi Hendrix created employing pyrotechnics, electronic effects
>and high speed playing was revolutionary. But this was only part of the
>Jimi Hendrix experience. He also took the electric guitar playing to a
>completely new level which would influence generations of guitar
>players(that definition alone would eliminate all of the above harp players
>IMO). Only one harp player majorly influenced his own as well all
>subsequent generations: Little Walter.

>Rkt

/////////////////

I'd agree with Rick that none of the contemporary players
mentioned is "the Jimi Hendrix of the harmonica."

(For that matter, I'm not sure I understand why there even has to
be a "Jimi Hendrix of the harmonica" -- but that's another
discussion. :)

However, with all due respect (to both Rick and Little Walter :),
if I were to try coming up with one, I don't think it'd be Little
Walter.  I think Little Walter is perhaps the "B.B. King" of
harmonica players, but not the "Jimi Hendrix."

Hendrix didn't just influence future generations of guitar
players; he influenced future generations of ~audiences~.  Sure,
there was revolutionary style in his playing, but the bad-ass,
pyrotechnic packaging was the vehicle that got it over, and he
knew it.  (I think it's also probably the reason one might even
ask today about who is the "Hendrix" of harp, rather than, say,
the "Clapton" of harp -- they were both "gods," but Jimi was
~dangerous~.)

Bad-ass Little Walter clearly set the stage for the modern blues
harp revolution, but he didn't get the message out to a mass,
mainstream audience in his own time.  He worked mainly in the
studio and small clubs, and his direct influence remained almost
exclusively within the blues world.

As with B.B. (or even Muddy, for that matter), it took others who
were greatly influenced by him to take his music forward to much
wider acceptance. Fortunately for both B.B. and Muddy, they lived
long enough to see this happen (through young interpreters like
Bloomfield, and Hendrix himself), unlike Little Walter.

The analogy may be both imperfect and shaded in lots of ways, but
if I had to designate the "Hendrix" of harmonica players, I'd
seriously have to say it was probably Paul Butterfield.

Musically, many more people first got turned on to tunes like
"Blues With A Feeling," "Off The Wall, " and "Mellow Down Easy"
through Butterfield's respectful and ballsy homage than from
Walter himself.

And theatrically, what he and his band did at the Newport Folk
Festival in 1964 -- with both their music ~and~ attitudes -- was
~exactly~ what Hendrix and his band did at the Monterey Pop
Festival in 1967 (where Butterfield also played).

Both of them didn't just play their asses off, but from those
pivotal moments on, permanently set the direction for their
respective "blues/rock" harp and guitar genres -- for the media,
for the audiences, and, as a result, for a generation of other
musicians.

MHO, B<pass.the.lighter.fluid>*)