Video Instruction

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My 2 cents worth on Carolyn Mayr's query about harp videos. I've
seen the John Sebastian and the Howard Levy (I came back from the
NAMM show last weekend laden down with various other videos, but
haven't had a chance to view them).

<From your previous posts, I'd hazard a guess that you're an
experienced intermediate player. The Sebastian video is sort of
back-porch folksy - like his songs - and is really for beginners.
Ditto the stuff from David Harp, Jon Gindick, and Marcos. The
latter three, especially, tend to leave out a lot of information
considered esssential by more advanced players, in order help
beginners get started without confusion or intimidation.

Howard Levy's video, on the other hand, is probably within your
reach while offering a challenge. It covers a wide range of
technique and application, including several positions (which
coincide with the major scale modes), some stuff on breathing and
tone, and some advice on bending and overblowing - not a step-by
step primer. The whole video is more an inspiring overview of
possibilities, with plenty of examples, than it is a detailed
course. It would definitely get you out of your same-old-licks
rut.

Norton Buffalo's new video was on display at the NAMM show, but
not playing on any machines that I saw. The blurb on the box
sounded absolutley fascinating, but I'll have to wait for my
review copy before passing comment. This could also be a good
stimulator for learning new stuff.

Homespun Video puts out the Levy, Buffalo and Sebastian videos,
along with the Butterfield-Sebastian audio tapes. These are
available from Kevin's Harps.

I haven't seen the Junior Wells video, but hear that it's pretty
pathetic.

The Harmonica Accordling to Charlie Musslewhite was originally a
book-and-recording combo, but turned out to be too advanced for
its intended beginner market. The RECORD ONLY *without* the book
has been reissued on Kicking Mule (See the upcoming HIP No. 5 for
a review) but is just an album of instrumentals

I've heard a lot of good things about Gary Primich's stuff, and it
sounds to be around your level.

Also, in England, Norman Ives is marketing harmonica Breakdown, a
cassette-based breakdown of several blues harmonica
instrumentals, talked through lick by lick. The author of this is
Sonny Jay, whose initials are the same as another harp mag editor
known to grace this list. Call Norman at 011-44-492-728-654
(remember the time difference). This might help some with new
licks.

Also, try playing licks from non-harp sources - whatever appeals.
If it's awkward, work with it until it flows, then vary it. Play
along with tunes you don't know on the radio, using the "wrong"
key of harp.

For vibrato and tone, check out the "Breathing, Relaxation and
Tone" article in HIP No. 1. You could also talk some shop (or
actually take some lessons) with players of other wind
instruments or even with vocal coaches. It's largely the same
stuff no matter what the instrument. Tone and vibrato might be
dealt with in detail in some of the many harp videos I haven't
yet seen.

Here's an interesting exercise for vibrato and tone.

Set your metronome to about 90, and divide the beat into even
3's. Then, playing with throat vibrato (same muscles as light
coughing), play a long held note, pulsing your vibrato in
triplets, so that your vibrato divides the beat in 3. This is
about the right speed for a good, relaxed vibrato. Many players,
especially when nervous or excited, lapse into a fast, braying
vibrato at an uncontrolled rate.

You can also try dividing the same beat into 4. This is still an
acceptable speed. Depending on the song, the beat will usually
divide into either 3 or 4 (or 2 for faster tunes), and you can
match this with your vibrato. Just by doing this and playing one
note with the appropriate vibrato, you can fill out the overall
sound of a band. Try experimenting with different tempos and beat
divisions, then put them into a musical context.

Very slow vibrato - which can be sweet on ballads - can be
created with a yoy-yoy motion of the mid-tongue (avoid the
front). Toots Thielemans sometimes gets this sound.

While you're playing those long notes, listen to your tone. Open
up the back of your throat, like you're trying to swallow a hot
potato that's a little too big to go down and uncomfortably hot
to touch. This will help you get a big, resonant sound. Tongue
blocking, to a certain extent, forces you into a similar mouth
shape, but is not necessary for good tone.

Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica Information Press
Z (lyin' there starin' at the ceiling / waiting for / that sleepy
Z    feeling)