Re: Playing Straight through the PA

g/mail/postponed-mail/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII

Regarding XLR connections:

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, Rkt wrote:
> Mike Curtis wrote:
> >Crystal mics and XLR connectors should never be paired without proper
> >impedance matching
>
> Mike is not referring to using an XLR connector as it is used on Hohner's
> Blues Blaster(a JT-30 in a colorful case). The BB just employs an XLR
> connector to make a hi-Z connection. On the other end of the cord is a 1/4"
> phone plug.

Since standard XLR mic cables are low-impedance, wouldn't this still be a
mismatch with hi-Z microphones like the Blues Blaster or JT-30?  Are you
saying, Rkt, that an XLR connector attaches the mic cable to a 1/4" plug,
or attaches the mic to a cable with a 1/4" plug for connecting to a hi-Z
input?

And if one is going to use XLR connections or cables to hook a hi-Z mic
into low-impedance inputs, would it be a good idea to do some "mic"rosurgery
[as in what can be done on a Green Bullet] to give the mic a balanced low-
impedance output?

And incidentally, what is the difference between balanced and unbalanced low-
impedance?  [Don't laugh, you two...I'm trying my best here - this "onlist"
decorum can be hard...]  Just wondering about that, because the Shaker Dyno
Mic you mentioned, Mike, has dual impedance characteristics like the Green
Bullet, high and unbalanced low.  Seems that mic doesn't match up with the
"balanced" low-Z cables and inputs either.  What sort of misfortunes could
one expect from incompatible connections, aside from the thin, tinny sound
quality when hi-Z mics are terminated into low-Z inputs?

One last thing, I understand there ARE differences between the JT-30 and the
Blues Blaster, Rkt, than just housing color.  The JT-30 is semidirectional,
with a frequency response of 30-8000 Hz, weighing 241 grams [8.5 oz.]  The
BB is omnidirectional, frequency response of 30-10,000 Hz, and weighing
283.5 grams [10 oz.]

Thanks, guys!

  ##[[[ Bobbie ]]]##                                    *Harp Spoken Here*