Fwd: RE: Lessons and Instruction RE: Lessons and Instruction

From:	MX%"IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"  5-JUL-1995 16:17:21.65
To:	MX%"owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC:
Subj:	RE: Lessons and Instruction

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 09:58:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jack Ely <IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Lessons and Instruction
To: owner-harp-l <owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
X400-MTS-identifier: [;70517150705991/205633@ODEVAX]
A1-type: MAIL
Hop-count: 1

Calvin writes...

>Greetings, fellow Harp blowers!

>I have just joined this list this week and enjoy the postings.

>I have had several inquiries from people who hear me play and want me to give
>them lessons.  I would like help from any and all of you who could give me
>some ideas concerning structure, price, length of harmonica lessons...etc..
>In essence, what works for you?

>I'm excited about this opportunity and would love to hear from those of you
>who are already instructors, especially Blues Harp instructors.

>Please EMail to:       bluespoet@xxxxxxx

>Thank you,
>Calvin

Hi again Calvin,

	I just re-read your post and realized you are ~not~ currently teaching.
So, I guess there are a couple other things I might share with you. BTW-being
asked to teach is quite a complement.

	I am not a blues harp instructor but I have written a "Getting Started
on Diatonic" method (for lack of a better word) it is about 7 or 8 printed
pages long. It only covers the C scale - holes 4 - 7 on the diatonic. I pass
this out to any new person that comes to our Short Harp SIG. I feel it is
important for a student to learn the C scale by note. It introduces a little
theory, whether it's ever used or not, and it can't hurt. Also, I think by
learning the scale they can start to pick out tunes by ear, or even read some
simple pieces from the sheet music. Many of the diatonic instruction books have
harmonica tablature plus standard music notation included.

	You are welcome to use my "Getting Started..." if you think it is worth
while. It is on the Harmonica Gopher or you can find it in the HARP-L archives.
If you have trouble finding it let me know and I will E-mail it to you.

	Whatever you do - Have a good lesson plan laid out so progressive goals
can be reached by the student. Build in a lot of review and repetition. Have
definate goals you expect each student to reach by the end of the course.

	For example: The goals of my Basic Harmonica Course (BCH) is...

a) Know the C scale
b) Know the C chromatic scale
c) Be able to play a clean single note (or at least show marked improvement)
d) Play three specified songs by reading the notes - key of C
e) Learn at least one other diatonic scale - F (and G time permitting)
f) Play at least one song in another Key - F

---- Also, have knowledge of ----

o Other types of harmonicas - Chord, Bass, Diatonic, etc. (I demonstrate these
early in the course - usually the first night)

 (I Demonstrate the following so student's are aware of, and know how to
  practice the following on their own).

o Proper breath technique (How to blow into the instrument)
o Tongue Block and Pucker embouchure
o Three Vibrato methods - Hand, Tongue, Throat (diaphragm)
o Double Stops - Octaves, Fifths, Sixths.

-- Jack Ely