Re: Harp-L tape

On 31 May 1995, Steve Jennings wrote:

> The rate of contributions to the tape has, so far, been little short of
> pathetic...So far, I've had 3 tapes from the States, and 5 from the UK...

> Think about it - DEADLINE is 30th June, 1995

You know, Steve, I hesitate to even broach this subject since I'm one of the
majority on the list who haven't submitted a sample recording yet.  In 20
years of "recreational", on-off playing, I've never even taped myself anyway.
But come to think of it, shouldn't harp music lovers be permitted to acquire
this tape even if they don't play a lick?  All that aside, I want to mention
two issues...

First, maybe you've noticed the recent influx of numerous new Harp-Lers, as
I have.  Perhaps an invitation to submit a tape, including details of the
project and its purposes, could be reissued so as to urge participation by
all those who may not have understood the meaning of your message admonish-
ing us to act soon.  Some newbies, especially, might not know what you were
talking about ("Wow, Virgil, I didn't know ya hadta audition for Harp-L!" ;))

Secondly, although you may not like the suggestion, I had an idea that might
resolve the thorny problem of getting US $$s exchanged for pounds sterling:

You could determine your costs (including an SJBF donation :)) to make each
tape, a "reasonable" amount, of course.  Then, figure what that would be in
US $$s (or whatever form of currency) and charge that to each person order-
ing a tape.  (Send it out AFTER you receive payment.)  Accept the tapes for
inclusion without charge.  That way, except for postal costs to those sending
their tapes to you, the costs are spread evenly across all persons receiving
copies.  (No one should be penalized for either submitting but not buying or
for buying without having contributed, IMO.)  Then, when you have collected
a bundle of American and/or other foreign currency, you can exchange it for
pounds sterling all at once and, perhaps that way we can all save on bank
service fees or charges.  You may want to factor such service fees into the
price (present and future) of the tapes, along with the SJBF contributions.;)

I really am trying to muster the gumption to do a taping, but must admit, I
was a bit put off by the tales of banking services, etc., and then paying for
the finished tape on top of that.  (Yikes!  I must be really cheap!! :)

Just to restate your address for those considering sending a contribution...

> Steve Jennings
> Editor, Harmonica World
> 19, Berry Close,
> Rothersthorpe,
> Northants.,
> NN7 3JQ
> United Kingdom
>
> Send - your contribution - a blank tape (c60 or more) - return postage (in
> pounds sterling) - a contribution to the SJBF (Steve Jennings Beer Fund)
> also in pounds sterling - this last ~used~ to be optional, but given the
> amount of hassle I'm undergoing over the whole deal .......... :-)

Sorry if my ideas would put extra burdens on you, but some kind of central
collection system seems desirable.

Till next,
....Bobbie                                   *Harp On Tape Here - Maybe!*