Beginners (long)(was: Defining blues)

     Thomas and Keith have good points IMO about being referred to the
archives, as do Barry and Rkt on the other side of the discussion.  I'm a
freshman here myself, and I have to side with the young'uns: Referring
beginners' queries to the archives *can be* hazardous to what seems to me
to be the best part about Harp-L, namely the freedom of players of all levels
to get to know each other and share ideas.  (It *can be* hazardous to that
freedom; it doesn't have to be.)
     Barry writes:
>I often go private email in response to questions about often asked
>questions (OAQ's) because I have gotten gun shy from a time when I was
>involved in fairly technical discussion regarding the capacitor value of
>optimum sonic qualities for the JT-30/ Blues Blaster microphone.  "Why
>don't we just call this AMP-L" was the line I remeber.
     I think his anecdote makes the point.  When folks on the list attack the
content of the post, it is going to make the poster *and others* think twice
in the future, not only about postings on that subject but also on other
topics *which might be of broader interest than the attackers realize.*  I
think I remember that capacitor discussion; I was downloading everything that
came across on the topic, whether I understood it or not, because the marvel
of this technology is that I can conveniently squirrel it away for later,
when I might understand more.  When the conversations go off-list, I lose
that option.  The topic indeed might appear in the archives; but before I got
into the thread Barry mentioned, I wouldn't have known to look there at all.
And I don't think I'm the only person on the list who has been in that position.
     Barry continues:
>When I do respond
>privately to an enquiry I often include the information that a more
>detailed discussion on the question being asked is also available through
>an indexed search of the archives.  Somewhat akin to what a good
>reference librarian does when you ask what Napoleon's birthday is.
>He/she tells you the answer then refers you to more extensive information
>on the subject.
     OK!  *That* kind of reference to the archives should offend no one.
(This past week I received helpful replies off-list from Steve and Harv to my
posted query on overblowing -- thanks, gents -- and on-list to my query on
stage organization -- thanks, all.  *Nobody* tried to shunt either query to
the archives, although I bet both subjects are well covered there.  I
appreciate that kind of friendly response; it will encourage me to post
more often... including the occasional screed like this one :^)
     Barry again:
>There are a lot of new people on this list lately.
>Perhaps they don't realize that there is a core group of individuals on
>the list that have been here for years not weeks and perrhaps this core
>has seen the answer to how to do a number 2 draw bend on more than one
>occassion....
     Very well.  The freshman class realizes that now.  I'm not certain why we
should care.  People learn at different rates and in different styles, and
experts can learn things from beginners as well as vice versa.  Fresh
discussion of something like how to do a 2 draw bend might well unearth a new
way of looking at the technique from a beginner's point of view which could
then help one of the many teachers on the list.  Just because something is
archived does not mean it's written in stone, that the last word has been
spoken on the topic.  Those who know everything there is to know about the 2
draw bend can skip the thread.
>... Not that this is a bad thing and that nothing should ever be
>discussed more than once.
     Well put.  Thanks for that observation.
> Finally the newcomers to the list have
>to realize that this isn't like blues-l or some of the other more chatty
>lists and newsgroups.  In the past the discussions although sometimes
>less frequent than on other lists have tended to be more substantative.
     Sorry, but nothing on the Internet is forever, including possibly the
businesslike and substantive nature of Harp-L.  I would much rather have to
sort through technical discussions, one-liners, personal chat, even the
occasional bout of flaming, than to see the list cease to be a place where
any player at any skill level can feel free to post most anything (as long
as it's harp-related).
     And Rkt writes:
>... In the archives one will find answers to questions one never
>thought of.
     The same goes for the daily packet of fresh Harp-L posts -- for now.
>Think of time spent in the archives as taking time out to
>practice.
     Fine.  I'll practice more, I promise.  But if the archives are practice,
the list is a *jam,* and a lot of fun.  Let's play another chorus, and let's
take care not to shut anybody out.

     Bill Hollan
     bhollan@xxxxxxx