Re: Shake/trill

A few months ago I asked a question of a Harp-ler who has a very good
handle on music theory. Trying to impress him, I used the word ~trill~
rather than ~warble~, which I'd used forever and a day. He corrected me
with the following.

>> Warble. Trill is misused by harmonica players to mean alternating
>> two holes. It means rapidly and smoothly alternating two adjacent
>> notes in the scale, like A and B (which also happens to be
>> neighboring holes) or like B and C using the slide on a
>> chromatic. Alternating two holes which are not adjacent in the
>> scale (like D and F in holoes 4 and 5 on a C harp) is properly
>> called a tremolo.

It has been my understanding that vibrato is a change in pitch or frequency
modulation(FM) and tremelo is a change in loudness or amplitude
modulation(AM).

Rkt