Acoustic Playing with Mic

Howdy all,

I've been playing Harp for several years, but mostly by myself.  When I play
acoustically, I have never used a mic.  I practice using my Astatic and have
gotten fairly decent at getting the sounds I want out it (after trying about
400 different hand positions and finally watching James Harman very closely
about once a week to see how he gets all those wonderful sounds).  Anyways,
I'm wanting to get together with some friends this summer and start jamming
... maybe play a gig or two, if we find the time.  So I've starting praticing
with my SM58.  However, I am finding it difficult to get the sound I'm after
(that Rice Miller sound).  I find that if I completely close my hands, I have
to get *very* close to the mic in order to pick up the sound, which makes it
difficult to open up.  I'm trying different ways of holding the harp, etc.
 But I figured that I could a good start by asking here.

What is the best way you guys have found to play using a omni in a stand.  I
know they'll be several different methods that everyone uses, but that's what
I'm after.  I'm looking for some techniques that I can try so I can see what
works out best for me.  This mike will also be my main vocal mike, so I want
to try to keep the gain down (as well as the feedback).  So how about it?
 How do you hold your hands?  About how far from the mike do you play?  Do
you completely close off the harp, or do you keep a slight opening to let the
sound out (which doesn't seem to give me as much 'wah').  Let me have it...

Thanx'll,

Chris