Re:Wider Tongue Blocking

Rod Thomas writes...

>Hey Harpers,
>      I've been adding octaves to my playing for a couple of months now.  I
>never though about it much, but I'm realizing I'm mostly playing octaves on
>diatonic harps and usually I'm playing octaves that only require you to
>block two holes.  So today I'm checking out a tune on William Clarke's
>"Serious Intentions" CD called "The Work Song" and the man is playing
>octaves on the chromatic that require that you block THREE holes.
>     At the moment, this is beyond my reach.  Any hints on how to make your
>blocking tongue wider as you play?  (I think my mouth is capable of
>covering the required FIVE holes.)  Thanks in advance.

Hi Rod, I can almost answer your question with one word.

Relax.

This will let your embouchure (tongue, lips, cheeks) open up and cover more
space. If you are "trying too hard", which is what I suspect, your embouchure
may be too tight - and isn't allowing the flexibility you need. With practice
you will be able to relax and still provide a very good air seal between you
and the instrument.

Side note: Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying above. Strong facial/mouth
muscles are important to harmonica players. There are exercises to speed this
development - but that's another story - hard to explain in writing.

       Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio  --Internet--> IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx